Pregnancy is an exciting time, but it is also a time when your body changes ALOT. With all the changes going on in your body, it is nice to have some things that make those changes a little easier. Especially as an active mama, there are unique challenges that pop up. Here are my favorite things that have helped me have a Fit and Healthy pregnancy.
- Victoria Secret Most Loved Yoga Legging/Capri/Crop– While other “maternity” leggings gave me a “droopy butt” and just didn’t fit right on my waist, I have found these leggings to be breathable and to fit really well. I have been able to wear them through all 3 trimesters and they work great for workouts or under a tunic with some nice accessories for dressing up.
- Pregnancy Pillow– I laughed when I saw these when I was pregnant with my first son. But when I was pregnant with my second son and started having hip and back pain that was keeping me awake at night I jumped on the band wagon and bought one. The one I got is called “Leachco Back ‘N Belly Contoured Body Pillow.” Hands down this has got to be one of my absolute favorite purchases. It not only helped my hip and back pain, but I think it also helps you to lie on your side which encourages your baby to be in the right position for birth. (My first son was breech so this is important to me).
- Cabea’s Baby Belly Band– Not a sexy item but definitely a useful one. I got this mainly for a small varicose vein but it has also helped with my Pregnancy related SI joint pain. I recommended it to a friend who had “Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction” (SPD) and she said it has really helped her as well. If you have any type of Pregnancy related Pelvic Girdle Pain (PGP) this is for you. It will seriously restore your quality of life.
- Champion Shaped Sports Bra– This is my go to sports bra even when not pregnant. I like how it doesn’t flatten you out without those stupid inserts that always seem to get folded in half and are impossible to position right. It also provides a decent amount of support without being impossible to get over your head.
- Ina May Gaskin’s Guide to Childbirth– This book is a must read for all expectant mamas. Ina May walks you through exactly what you need to know to have a safe and healthy labor, without the fear mongering of books like “What to Expect When You’re Expecting”
- Reebok Zigs– A good pair of shoes is essential and while I am a fan of minimalist shoes, I felt like my feet needed the extra cushioning when I was on my feet all day teaching classes. These pretty much feel like walking on a cloud to me.
- Fit for Birth Course– I am so glad that I took this course. You can check out my review here. If you are a pregnant fitness professional or a fitness professional that works with pregnant women this course is a must! Not only will you understand a lot more about prenatal fitness and program design but you will also learn about the history of childbirth and how to combat the common discomforts of pregnancy. I also strongly suggest this course to any pregnant mama who is interested in learning about how to stay healthy and fit during pregnancy.
- Every Day Shea Lavender Body Lotion– This lotion is the bomb dot com. Its got shea butter which is ultra nourishing but has the light scent of lavender instead of the shea butter smell which I am not a huge fan of. It also comes in a smooth spreadable lotion instead of the chunky blocks of raw shea butter that I find hard to use. It has helped me avoid stretch marks thus far and I would highly recommend it.
What are your favorite pregnancy finds? I am still looking for an amazing maternity workout top but really haven’t found one. My most beloved Under Armor tanks worked for a while but after 8 months my belly was poking through at the bottom…Do you have any good ones to suggest?