I just realized I have been blogging for over a year and I can’t believe how quickly time flies! I just competed in my second bikini competition this past weekend: The Shawn Ray Classic. It was a great show and really cool to meet Shawn Ray, he is an awesome guy and I totally didn’t realize that his daughter is Asia from the show dance moms. She is so talented, too!
Anyway, I ended up placing 3rd in my class in this competition and while I was a little disappointed that I didn’t place as well as I wanted (Hey a girl always wants to be the best, right?) I was totally thrilled that I did place and that I am now qualified for nationals.
There are two national shows left in the season. One in two weeks and one in November. My goal is to do the one in November. I hope that will give me time to build the muscle mass that I need. I spent a lot of time last night looking at the girls who are pro bikini and trying to objectively assess how I could improve my body. I think that I really have a lot of muscle mass to put on- maybe 10 to 15lbs.
Here is a Comparison between me and Tawna Eubanks, a competitor I look up to.
I feel like I look like a twig compared to her. I definitely need more mass in my quads, shoulders and glutes. Also, I feel like boobs make a big difference, unfortunately. I think my smaller chest makes me look immature and takes away from the hourglass shape the judges are looking for.
One of the areas I feel I have really improved in is posing. When I first tarted working with my coach, I was soooooooo awkward. I have learned so much, and wile I am still no expert, I felt that I would share a few tips on what helped me:
1. Practice, Practice, practice: with a mirror, without, in high heels, in tennis shoes, listening to rock music, listening to reggaeton. You get the idea. I spent at least 20 min each day practicing in different ways. It is really important that you are able to display your physique with confidence and in the best way possible and the only way to do that is to practice and find out what looks best on your body. Especially if your body is changing rapidly in the prep stage you want to make sure your posing is changing to suit your physique.
2. Its all about the hips: Have you ever watched Victoria Secret models? They play up the sexy vibe by really working there hips. You can transform blah posing into bubbly, sexy posing by adding more hip emphasis.
3. Smile: You wouldn’t believe how many girls forget to smile on stage. You want the judges to believe that you are having the best day of your life.
4. Your goal is to emphasize a small waist and a big, but toned butt. The best way to do this is to twist at your waist (chest to the judges, hips in the opposite direction), arch at your lower back and flex.
5. Keep it classy: There is nothing more cringe worthy than going to an event with your family and watching a girl do things on stage that are close to X-rated. Your goal is to show off your hard work at the gym not to show how hard you can work a pole. Remember, people bring their kids to these events, you want to exude confidence, sex appeal, class and approachability all at the same time.
So there you have it, 5 quick posing tips. Again, I am still learning and would love to hear your comments so let me know what you think makes for good posing!
P.S. If you found these tips helpful make sure you check out my guidebook for bikini competitors “Secrets of the Bikini Competitor” where I share more secrets for rocking the stage and winning your competition.